'The Lawrence Asylum' was built as a memorial to Major General Sir Henry Lawrence, CB, BT, LT.COL., ADC to Queen Victoria, K.CB, who early in 1856 offered a sum of Rs.5,000 down and Rs.1,000 per annum if action were taken to found, at some Madras hill-station an Asylum similar to those already established at Sanawar and Mount Abu. In February of 1856, a meeting was held in Ootacamund to make every effort to carry out the project. From the beginning, difficulty arose as to the religious principles to be inculcated at the institution. However, a prospectus for 'The Ootacamund Asylum for the Orphans and other children of European soldiers in India', on a strictly Protestant basis, was issued. A committee was formed with Bishop Dealtry as its President.
Ootacamund, The Nigiris, Lovedale, Tamil Nadu 643003